bioreactors by applications
Stirred Cell Culture
Cell Culture processes usually refer to the processes by which mammalian cell lines, such as CHO or HEK293, are used for the production of complex proteins given that they possess the machinery for translational modifications.
The sensitity of mammalian cells to physicochemical conditions in the extracellular environment (e.g. osmotic and toxic ones) results in the need for some considerations in the bioreactor design that differs from microbial ones.
Standard needs are considered in the standard configuration fo the equipment, whereas special needs for each cell type and application can be solved by the vast number of additional functional modules and PATs that Bionet’s bioreactors are able to integrate.
What are the common characteristics that cell culture bioreactors share in its core design:
Cell Culture vessel
The aspect ratio (H:D) of a cell culture bioreactor’s vessel is close to 1:1 at the working volume, which gives a large surface area across which the gas diffuses.
This aspect ratio is maintained across the entire Bionet’s laboratory, pilot and industrial bioreactors, which improves the results in scale-up activities.
f0/f1 bioreactor vessel
f0/f1 bioreactor vessel
Cell cultures’ relevant parameters
In cell culture, cells are very sensitive to changes in aeration, agitation, nutrients, and pH, among others.
Since oxygen is a key substrate for growth, survival and production, the DO is provided continuously via aeration mechanisms, which normally consists on the supply of oxygen via both the sparger and overlay. The mixing of this oxygen for its transfer to the media is achieved using either marine or pitched blade impellers due to the cell shears sensitivity. This sensitivity is also overcome by the supply of CO2 as an acid agent for pH control, which is the reason why cell culture bioreactors have more gas lines in their default configuration.
Bionet’s cell culture bioreactors include the instrumentation and actuators required for the measurement and control of these parameters by default and allows the integration of additional instrumentation and actuators to the BCU (Bioreactor Control Unit) in a Plug&Play manner.
Common PATs package:
- Dissolved Oxygen (DO)
- Foam presence / Level
Common package of actuators:
- Agitation (Marine impellers)
- 3 Peristaltic pumps
- Advanced Gas Module (up to 4 gas)
- Water circuit
The Microbial Bioreactors can work with ROSITA or MARTA, depending on the bioreactor model.
Both Softwares relate the information from the sensors and the actuators functioning to allow for the following features:
- Real-time visualization
- Data registration
- Remote control
What additional functionalities can be of interest in Cell Culture Bioprocesses and what technologies does Bionet provide for these?
- bBreathThe Plug&Play module you need to carry out O2/CO2 composition analysis of your bioreactor exhaust gas (i.e. metabolic predictions) and get the maximum of this data to enhance the quality and productivity of your process.
- bVSPThe Variable Speed Pump is the Plug&Play module you need to carry out substrate additions (i.e. for Fed-batch and semi-continuous processes) or withdrawal/harvesting actions according to a number of feeding/bleeding profiles.
- bCPMThe Plug&Play module you need to carry out different continuous strategies for an increase in your bioprocess productivity.
- Flexible Gas ModuleThis is the software module you need to be able to select other gas than air and O2, required for anaerobic processes or to use CO2 as an acidifying agent for pH control.
- bScaleThe bScale is the Plug&Play module that you need for the connection of scales, from a range of scale precisions and brands used in lab and production settings.
- Other Add-OnsThe Plug&Play module you need to carry out O2/CO2 composition analysis of your bioreactor exhaust gas (i.e. metabolic predictions) and get the maximum of this data to enhance the quality and productivity.
- Upstream ServicesWe reduce the "time-to-market" of new bioproducts thanks to our expertise to provide a holistic bioprocess solution. We do this by accompanying our equipment with a range of process services that help clientes to take crucial decisions and support them all the way through the selection and operation of the technologies, and the acquisition of the scientific knowledge necessary to enhance the potential of the process. This includes Upstream Proof-of-Concept Trials, Upstream Optimization Services, Bioprocess Scale-Up, Installation and training and Fermentation Courses.
- GET MORE INFO →
Microbial Bioreactor Models
Related Knowledge Hub Content
Get more info
Write your request…